Makes: 8 servings
3 ½ cups cooked brown rice
2 egg replacer
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
8 spring onions, chopped (keep the white and green parts separate)
6 mushrooms, chopped
1 cup baby spinach
½ cup fresh basil leaves
1 large onion, chopped
8 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed, chopped
1 cup chopped kale (remove hard ribs and stem before chopping)
2 packages firm tofu
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 tablespoons soy sauce or to taste
1 1/3 cups nondairy milk like soy milk or almond milk
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 teaspoons arrowroot
6 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1. If you do not have an egg replacer, make a flax egg. For this, combine 1 tablespoon of flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons of water. Let it rest for 15 minutes either on your countertop or in the refrigerator. It will become gel-like. This is one flax egg. So when you need 2 or 3 flax eggs, simply double or triple the flaxseed meal and water.
2. To make the crust: Preheat your oven to 350° F.
3. Prepare a springform pan of about 8 to 9 inches in diameter by greasing it lightly with some cooking spray
4. Mix egg replacer or flax egg together in a bowl, and cooked brown rice. Transfer the brown rice mixture into the prepared springform pans. Press the mixture well onto the bottom of the pan.
5. Brush with a little oil all over the top of the mixture,
6. Place the springform pan in the oven and set the timer for about 10 minutes.
7. Remove the pan from the oven and keep it aside.
8. To make the filling: Pour oil into a nonstick skillet and let it heat over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add onions, garlic, and white parts of the green onions. Cook until the onions are soft.
9. Stir in the bell peppers and mushrooms. Cook for 7-8 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the spinach and kale.
10. Add green parts of the green onions and basil. Mix well. Cook until the greens turn limp. Turn off the heat.
11. Meanwhile, blend in a food processor, tofu, mustard, soy sauce, turmeric, nutritional yeast, oil, and arrowroot until smooth.
12. Transfer this mixture into the pan of greens. Mix well.
13. Spread this mixture over the crust in the springform pan.
14. Place it in the oven and set the timer for about 35 – 40 minutes or until medium brown on top. Make sure you do not brown it too much.
15. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. When warm, slice into wedges and serve.