For peanutty quinoa bowls:
¼ cup quinoa
½ small red bell pepper, deseeded, diced
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 tablespoon water
Pepper to taste
1 tablespoon chopped roasted peanuts
¼ teaspoon brown sugar or coconut sugar
Salt to taste
½ teaspoon olive oil
½ small broccoli head, broken into florets
¼ teaspoon tamari or soy sauce
½ teaspoon fresh lime juice
¼ teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
For the baked tofu:
¼ package (from a 15 ounces package) extra firm tofu, cut into 2 thick slices
1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
½ tablespoon maple syrup
½ tablespoon olive oil
½ clove garlic, minced
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1. To make baked tofu: Add soy sauce, maple syrup, olive oil, garlic, and black pepper into a small baking dish. Whisk well.
2. Place the tofu slices in the baking dish. Coat the tofu well with the marinade. Keep aside for at least 30 minutes to an hour. Flip the sides of the tofu every now and then. The longer you marinate, the better flavor will be achieved.
3. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
4. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or line it with parchment paper. Place the marinated tofu slices on the baking sheet.
5. Place the baking sheet in the oven and set the timer for about 40 minutes or until browned. Flip sides of the tofu every 10 – 12 minutes.
6. To make peanutty quinoa bowls: Cook the quinoa following the instructions given on the package of quinoa. You can use either water or vegetable broth for cooking the quinoa.
7. Meanwhile, pour oil into a skillet and let it heat over medium-high heat. Add oil. When the oil is hot, add bell pepper. Cook for a couple of minutes until soft. Stir occasionally. Remove the bell pepper from the skillet and place in a bowl.
8. To the same pan, add broccoli. Add a tablespoon of water. Cook the broccoli until it is tender. Transfer the broccoli to the bowl of red pepper.
9. To make peanut sauce: Whisk together peanut butter, lime juice, 1 tablespoon water, soy sauce, ginger, and sugar until smooth.
10. Transfer the cooked quinoa into the bowl of vegetables. Pour the peanut sauce and add salt and pepper. Mix well.
11. Chop the baked tofu into pieces and place on top.
12. Sprinkle roasted peanuts on top and serve.